Saturday, March 04, 2006

Angels Watching Over Us

I work during the nights, that means copious amounts of talk radio geared towards the politically minded. Sometimes I get sick of all that partisan crap and change it to the Coast to Coast Radio Program. This is an open forum where you'll hear anything from the most irrational conspiracy theories to U.F.O's. From ancient archaeology to modern day astronomy, you never know what they'll feature. About a month ago the guest was a fascinating lady, Joan Anderson, who started writing books about people's experiences with Angels. Initially, she just interviewed them for the Catholic Church, but then started noticing distinct similarities in all the stories, so she's parlayed that into a long, storied career and several best selling novels.

Anyway, the most interesting aspect was her discussions with children about Angels who helped them. Many times, the parents regarded these beings as 'imaginary friends' of their child, and mostly the appearances of these friends dwindle and finally disappear around the age of 6. There seemed to be a lot of irrefutable evidence of children seeing unexplainable things that adults couldn't.

I told my Mom about this program and she asked me, "Don't you remember when you were a child and had an imaginary friend named Rebecca"? Of course I didn't remember that, so my Mom told me that between the ages of 3 and 6, I used to scare her to death because every time she went into my room she found me talking earnestly with Rebecca. My Mom said I would look into the mirror to talk with Rebecca. She became absolutely perturbed with my behavior and threw away the mirror, but it didn't prevent me from continuing to see and converse with Rebecca. We moved out of that townhouse when I turned 6 and my Mother said that I never discussed Rebecca again.

I didn't have the rosiest of childhoods, in fact it was mostly unstable and tumultuous. Thinking of the possibility that Heavenly Father loves us enough to provide not only the Holy Ghost as our constant companion but also Angels to help us through trying times, comforts me immensely.

4 comments:

Sister Pottymouth said...

Great blog. I don't remember having imaginary friends as a child, but I rub shoulders with angels quite frequently as an adult. One of them is compulsive writer (www.dalener.blogspot.com). I also believe we can be angels to anyone around us, if only we are more aware of each other.

Allan said...

I'm 39 and most of my friends are still imaginary.

Love this blog- I really liked the 'American Idol' story.
PLOP!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Remember Allan, in accordance to the scriptures we have TWO kinds of angels. Take heed as to which variety are hanging out with you!

I'm not a touchy feely person but I really found the Angel stories interesting. My daughter and I were crying at some of the accounts. Good stuff!

Mimo- JenK said...

My son had what I believed to be an angel visit him when he was little.
I remember one night we had a thunderstorm and he joined me in my room. Scared. After a little bit he started giggling. He told me there was a funny man on the ceiling making faces at him. It sure helped him calm down and go to sleep.