Sunday, April 09, 2006

A Memorable First Date

Today is the day. Twelve years have passed since my Papi and I went out on our very first date together. Since we both worked at night and went to school Papi told me not to worry about how I was dressed and said just COME AS YOU ARE. We planned to dine at the local Chinese buffet. Isn't that romantic? Houston traffic made me a few minutes late and I found myself to be ALL APOLOGIES with Papi. He said that he hadn't been waiting for long and that considerateness was a quality that he really liked ABOUT A GIRL. I wouldn't say that love was IN BLOOM, but we were definitely off to a good start, even though he had neglected to bring me any chocolates in a HEART SHAPED BOX. Much to our chagrin we found that the Chinese buffet had closed at 2 o'clock which really was a DOWNER. SOMETHING IN THE WAY Papi suggested my second favorite establishment in the whole wide World, Pancho's Mexican Buffet, made me say, YOU KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT, that sounds fantastic. On our way there, the radio reported the discovery of Kurt Cobain's decomposing body in his home. That made me feel a twinge of sadness that only LITHIUM could cure, but I didn't let that stand in the way of scarfing down a big meal topped with BIG CHEESE. Even though Papi is a refined and genteel individual we washed down our taquitos with lemonade, not PENNROYAL TEA. After the meal we just enjoyed each others company and talked. Admittedly, after a big Mexican meal some flatulence transpired and it most assuredly did NOT SMELL LIKE TEEN SPIRIT.

Ahhh memories. Our first kid was IN UTERO one year later and our second daughter, Monkey, was born on this very date two years later. HAPPY FIRST DATE ANNIVERSARY PAPI AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONKEY!!!!!

8 comments:

White Man Retarded said...

Ha! Pancho's! Heather loves Pancho's but my bowels are tied up for a week after eating there, so it's a once-a-year if that endeavor for us. Congratulations.

wendela said...

AAAAAGHHHHH!! I KNOW I posted a comment- was it yesterday? I dunno where it went. Well, anyway, you are one clever infidel. I said lots of other good stuff about you, I'm sure of it. Nothing about farts or sauerkraut, though- sorry.

Mimo- JenK said...

I made a post too! And it never showed up.
Mine was something about... something or another.
Fun to hear people's first date stories. :)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

We like Pancho's because it offers a cheap dining experience as well as cultural ambiance. The location close to you off of 1960 and 59 is better than the one by our house though. Si, es verdad, panza llena, corazon contento. Full belly, happy heart.

Wendela, It's as though Kurt Cobain knew in advance that one day I would blog about my first date with Papi and he accommodated me with some great song titles to coincide with the story. Too bad he didn't have the foresight to know that his daughter would be raised by an erratic junkie. Ordinarily, I don't recall events in my life. I scoffed at girls in high school who marked their calendars and journals with trite nonsense like first kisses and days of menstruation. I still think that's weird. The only reason I remember the exact day of our first date is due to Kurt's death. So thanks Kurt, wherever you are.

mimo and carrot, I messed up my blog. Papi understands my blog obsession and swooped in to help but I'd already inadvertently erased the comments here. So now that you know the truth your lives can carry on.........
Thanks for posting twice. Now I won't look like a friendless loser with 0 comments.

Mimo- JenK said...

Oh Whew! That's a relief! So glad your Papi was able to resue you!

wendela said...

OK, whew, I thought I was imagining things (which isn't all that unusual, actually).

Anonymous said...

AND A HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALSO TO MONKEY AND I AM GLAD THAT YOU MET AND FELL IN LOVE WITH YOUR HUSBAND.........YER DAD

Tori :) said...

My daughter was also born on April 9. Very cool...
I love Panchos. I always ate their taquitos.
I was working at Pizza Hut when Kurt Cobain killed himself.
That is all.