Friday, January 13, 2006

Pride Rears Its Ugly Head In A Mexican Restaurant

My husband has the extreme pleasure of working with a nearly all female staff! That's right 10 divorced and bitter Latinas, my husband, Papi, and 1 Jesus crammed into the same office. Why? Because, hey, everyone needs Jesus in their lives and maybe in their office too. I don't like to name drop or anything but my husband truly DOES have a friend in Jesus. Are you insanely jealous? That's not a Christian virtue, shame on you! By the way, Jesus is pronounced, (HEY-ZEUS), he's Mexican and he doesn't happen to possess any omnipotent power.

The downside is that these women bicker, compete, and catfight most of the day thus making a stressful work environment for Jesus and Papi. The upside is that my husband has come to appreciate how wonderful I am, if only by way of comparison to his female co-workers.

We went to a company dinner a month ago and a new employee whom I shall name, Sister Christian, started preaching to me. I smiled and continued eating, come on we're talking free Mexican food here, while she spoke. Finally, she paused and I told her that I loved it when Papi comes home from work and shares the daily gossip with me. After spending my days with six kids, I NEED that adult outside world connection that good office gossip brings. Well, Miss Sister Christian started thumping her chest and gave me a stern look of consternation and proceeded to chastise me by saying, "As a Christian, I must tell you that gossiping is a sin, and I will pray for you to discontinue your bad habits".

So, I puffed myself up too, which admittedly I'm already puffy, and informed her, "Do you know who you're talking to? I listen to Christian rap music AND I know all the words to Jesus Freak, THAT makes me practically an expert on Church things".

I may have confused her because she didn't speak to me for the rest of the dinner.

3 comments:

Emma Jo said...

mmmm...I'm still thinking about the Mexican food...but I love stories like that--I wish that I had that spontaneous wit. I usually think of good things to say when I'm trying to fall asleep that night.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm not a quick wit Emma. You see I liken it to how companies use stock photography. When a need arises they look for a suitable picture in their collection to match.

I have stock sarcastic comments. I anticipate and prepare a few retorts beforehand, then when a person gives me my perfect intro. I retrieve it from my mental warehouse and burn them. But kindly and with a broad smile, of course, after all, I AM a Christian.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Yes, mormon family man, us womenfolk were puffier than the grande cheese puff sitting on our plates.

Not to brag,but anyone who has ever seen me knows I came better armed for a puffiness contest, so I naturally felt the glow of victory!!!