Thursday, December 04, 2008

If My Mexi-Man Papi Had His Way We Would All Spell People As "PEE-PLE"

A few months ago my mom invited us Infidels out to see a live performance of the perenially perky UP WITH PEOPLE group.

Studies show that the International cast members who comprise UP WITH PEOPLE have been directly infused with large doses of sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows everything in addition to a spoonful of sugar thrown in for good measure-- it makes it all go down in the most delightful way.

When I was but a wee young Infidel lass, my mother always took me to the UP WITH PEOPLE concerts whenever they hit Houston. Some kids dream of running away to join the circus. Not me. I fantasized of one day getting some fancy veneers and joining the photogenic UP WITH PEOPLE crew. I yearned to be one of them-- blinding audiences worldwide with my dazzling white toothy smile and amazing jive-talking jazz hands.

Alas, by the time I hit 12 I realized that I wasn't at all cute, I couldn't sing, I couldn't dance, I couldn't stomp out a rhythm even if my very life depended on me stomping an emergency Morse code, I looked horrible in brightly colored cardigans and khakis, and I definitely wasn't perky.

I would have been better qualified for a humanity-hating production of DOWN WITH PEOPLE.

Anyway, aside from a few vague and disinteresting dialogue moments steeped in Utopian and "It Takes A Village" blah blah, the show was suprisingly good. The mini-Infidels really loved it and clamored to go get their pictures taken with as many UP WITH PEOPLE participants as they could.

I showed Papi the pictures when we got home. Despite the fact that UP WITH PEOPLE had many cast members originating from Mexico and the fact that they tour extensively there, Papi hadn't ever heard of them.

His quizzical response to the first picture I snapped-showing the group's name and logo-left me gasping for air from laughing so hard.

Papi said: "What exactly is U PEE WITH PEOPLE??!!??"


Here's a sampling of the UP WITH PEOPLE performers in action at last year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade:

23 comments:

S said...

I remember Up with People coming to my grade school.........a few years back. I loved them too, I wanted to join them too. I didn't have any idea they were still around! Do you think they will take a not so much a size 8 anymore housewife with grey hair? I can't dance but I could do jazz hands if need be! Let me know?

S said...

K I watched the video! I think I found my own answer. I will be calling them first thing in the morning:)

Millie said...

I don't pee with people. Please don't swim in my pool. Or something.

I remember Up With People vaguely from elementary school - we probably watched a UWP film or filmstrip or something - but my school district was strictly a "Free to Be... You and Me" propaganda state.

Sister Pottymouth said...

If I had to dance and sing like that for an entire parade route, I think I would pee with people too. But it would be involuntary. And I'd have to wear dark pants so no one could tell.

Stacey said...

So do they make a lot of money from the performances? Cuz I will pee with people if I get paid for it.

Rebecca Blevins said...

The only time I pee with people is if I'm pregnant and I sneeze or cough. I always hope they don't notice.

Christy said...

I have never heard of these up with people people.

aubreyannie said...

I have never heard of these up with people people.

aubreyannie said...

i guess i could have just said "ditto" to what suburban hippie said.

aubreyannie said...

that video was kind of making me nauseous. which is mean of me to say, since they stand for world peace, right? i'm not sure i could sit through a performance of that.

Randi said...

If I already pee with people, does that get me a hall pass from the performance?

Klin said...

I know nothing of these people you post about.

I just want to know how you got my husbands picture and why you put it on your blog? Isn't he handsome?

He hates Christmas.

**whispers**
that's why he put up the lights early this year. but he didn't forget the Grinch taking the lights off of our roof deco either ;)

nora.lakehurst said...

Oh common I think we should do an adult one just for us who fantasied to be like them. We could call ourselves the infidel up peeps.

robkroese said...

I've thought starting a group called "I've Had it Up to Here with People."

Sketchy said...

I actually had an opportunity to audition for Up with People. But then I realized I hate them. So I didn't.

U Pee with People

LOOOOOOOOOOL

Unknown said...

I can't believe that Jen is dead and they are still alive.

Annie was here.

J-Mom said...

Never have heard of these performers, but oh my goodness are they perky and cheerful!

I needed some good laugh this morning, thanks for fulfilling that!

You Pee with people..he he he he

Jean Knee said...

I like to pee with myself and a few chosen people.

you might be one of them.....someday

jams o donnell said...

Ah I'm not sure they perform here in the UK

Hey It's Di said...

Your Papi is a funny dude! Elastic, I'm sure you would have been a hit with Up With People! You should have gone for it!

Speaking of peeing with people, I remember as a youngster sitting on the pot with my best friend AT THE SAME TIME! I guess we did everything together....literally!

Hey It's Di said...

That just made me depressed thinking of how small my booty was at one time to share the throne with another. *sigh! Now I'm hoping I can fit on there without cheeks spilling over:(

Nancy Face said...

Papi is AWESOME!

Nancy Face said...

I do my best peeing WITHOUT people.

But when squatting in the forest, a nice tree makes a good companion to back up against.