Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wanted: A Large Dose Of Anti-Psychotic Meds To Treat The Houston Weather

Come on, Houston. Enough of this weather craziness already. Real life shouldn't be like a Katy Perry song.
"You're hot and you're cold, you're yes and you're no......"
Yes, well if you're a resident of the greater Houston area you've been both hot and cold in a short 24-hour period.
Yesterday me and my mini-Infidels took our noble crotch-sniffing wonderdog, Reagan out into the balmy 80 degree day for a walk.
It was so freakin hot that some of us ended up diving into the neighborhood pool to cool off. Yeah, warm enough to go swimming in the middle of winter!
Not 12 hours later the temperatures dropped a mind-numbing (and butt-numbing) 50 degrees.
Are you rubbing your eyes because you think you must have read that wrong?
You didn't. The temps plummeted to the freezing point last night. It was accompanied by sleet and drizzling rain because apparently cold weather doesn't like to travel alone.
Sweating to shivering in the blink of an eye. Shorts and T-shirts to electric blankets and turtleneck sweaters. Sleeping on my own side of the bed with a fan to cool off to trying to curl up with Papi for some much-needed warmth in one crazy, mixed-up, discombobulated December day.
The drearily overcast and freezing cold day gave way to SNOW this afternoon.
SNOW in Houston! And not just a minute of light flurries either. It snowed big white chunks for over an hour.
I've seen mental illness up close and personal. And while I'm not a licensed mental health professional I think I'm qualified enough to diagnose Houston weather as having a severe onset of multiple personality disorder with a touch of schizophrenia thrown in there just so it would make a more convincing Lifetime movie event.
Maybe Sally Fields can add another award to her trophy case by taking on the starring role of an emotionally traumatized Houston weather system struggling to decide if it wants to be good or bad......hot or cold.....light or dark.
I wouldn't bother watching such a film. I'm LIVING it.

19 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Yay me. I get to go and work all night long in this mess, crappy weather.

Jealous of how many hours I get to be in the great outdoors experiencing nature and drunk drivers and surly co-workers?

Dn't be.

carrie said...

No E. I'm not jealous I feel your pain sistah. You forgot to mention the crabby customers and the ticket happy police officers.

Rebecca Blevins said...

Oh yeah, I'm jealous.

No, not really. I live in Missouri. It's not uncommon to use the heat in the car in the morning and the air conditioning in the afternoon.

We don't put our shorts away until January!

omar said...

Mmmmm, shorts and 80 degrees...

Christy said...

The crazy weather is one of the things I love about Houston. I like that it gets cold - every once in a while - but is usually warm-hot.

Millie said...

I love that 50 degrees is considered butt-numbing weather. It's 46° here and my butt can still feel everything (which is something I'm sure you wanted to know).

Lisa said...

I heard from my sister that it was snowing in Katy! We are hitting 80 today and then dropping this weekend, too.

I only expect big flakes in TX to match the biggest raindrops I have ever seen!

S said...

I would send you some medications for mother nature, but I am fresh out. Man I wish we were about to have spring break instead of christmas. The Farmers Alamnac has predicted this to be the coldest winter since???? I can't remember. I guess that means even TX!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

We're even supposed to get snow this weekend. Still, I don't feel bad for you. It definitely wasn't 80 degrees here yesterday. In fact, it has been overcast and in the 40's since (approximately) the Clinton administration. Or does it just feel like that long?

jams o donnell said...

Snow in Houston? I feel your pain. I hate the stuff!

Klin said...

I'm with Millie. The day time high here has been about 40 or high 30's. I'd love a day of 80, but not necessarily followed by a butt numbing 50 ;)

I love your title! That alone made me laugh out loud.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I guess I wasn't clear in my post.
It didn't drop to 50 F....it dropped 50 DEGREES total from a high of 80!

We've been hovering around 32-38 degrees for 2 days now.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I worked all day and night in the frosty cold and have to leave again in a few minutes.

You may not know it, but I'm a delicate flower. The cold makes my skin crack and bleed regardless of what skin treatment I use. We also don't have working heat or a fireplace at the Infidel house. We've been sleeping in sleeping bags and layering on our clothes.

I currently look like your friendly corner hobo with my many, many, many layers of clothing......and my 5 o'clock stubble.....and it probably didn't help appearances to drink that hot cocoa out of a cup wrapped in a brown paper sack.....

Yvonne said...

It's only December 11th and I'm so tired of the cold and snow. I'd love it if the snow melted and we got WARM for just a day. (Well, maybe I wouldn't love it because then it would get cold again)

joanna said...

Isn't there supposed to be global warming or something?

Hey It's Di said...

I would ask Utah to give Houston a pep talk to get it out of it's multiple personality mix up, but Utah is in the same boat.

We've had unseasonably warm temps and NO snow until yesterday and then we got dumped on. It may just warm up to 80 tomorrow. Who knows? I would just like to know if I can put away my Summer clothes or my Winter ones??

Nancy Face said...

Sheesh! I thought we had weird weather here sometimes, but it's NUTHIN' like that! :0

I've waited my whole life to walk outside and see snow. I'm still waiting.

wynne said...

Is that why your profile pic is popsicles?

wynne said...

A 50-degree drop is INSANE. I'm so glad I don't live in Texas (except for the part where that would allow me to stalk you and throw slush balls at the back of your head. (don't worry, I don't live in Texas and I'm a lousy shot anyway.))