Thursday, January 05, 2006

Some Gift Registeries Give ME The Wedding Bell Blues!

I am very fortunate to have married a man somewhat like minded unto myself. Neither of us are very good at receiving presents, it makes us feel awkward. Feigning excitement at a crappy present is difficult and when a gift is particularly nice we both feel somehow obligated to the giver. Maybe this is why the adage goes, 'It is much better to give than to receive'.

So, needless to say we have NEVER filled out a list for a gift registry. Not for our wedding, not for baby showers, nothing. Now, I completely understand the need for gift registries. If they weren't around every newlywed couple would receive hand loomed toilet paper concealers, the occasional Velvet Elvis painting, creepy clown figurines (happened to us), and other such "treasures". The thing that bothers me is the fact that I know people look at these lists and make stark personality judgements based on the items contained therein.

My Mom and I are guilty of laughing and gossiping about tacky color combinations in their towels and shower curtain selections. I'll laugh with my husband about why two college kids need china and silver when they are drowning in student loans. We all shake our heads and comment when said couple picks out video games for their registry. Is it me or this just immature to request video games when you are a grown adult getting married? Maybe, we are just horrible people to mock others tastes and values, but it's just too much fun, and it adds a little spark in conversation on an otherwise boring day.

Personally, I have a fondness in my heart for those who register at Target or Wal-Mart. Even Bush's White House Spokesman, Scott McClellan had two registeries at his wedding last year, one at Gimbel's (I think), and the other at Target. I LOVE that! It gives people less affluent some gifting options aside from the $100.00 per plate settings. I have known wonderful people though who have gotten married and registered at nice department stores like Foley's and asked for items that were on sale and everyday use practical. Things like plates with a simple navy stripe, and silverware designed for eating not sitting in a fancy engraved box and waiting to be polished twice a year. I try not to be biased but I love these married couples more than those who only register at Neiman Marcus and Macy's.

I have other thoughts on the subject so this is to be continued..............Like a soap opera cliffhanger only nobody dies and it's MUCH MORE interesting.

3 comments:

Dan M. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan M. said...

At first I was really confused why a random married woman would start commenting on my blog, but now I see you are in fact, LDS, and I am slightly less creeped out.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Let me break it down gently captain m.,

Funny thing about blogs is that when you click publish your "super secret, 'I'm so cool', diary" becomes public domain for the masses to mock, ridicule, and yes, comment on.

Creeping out LDS teenagers has been my favorite hobby for many years now. Glad to see I haven't lost my touch.

Most people appreciate blog comments and delight in response to their musings(I do). Alas, like a typical self-centered young person you immediately assume that a reply on a world wide web site equals someone stalking you. Pitiful, really.

Thanks to your blog, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! Hahahahaaaaaa!