Sunday, February 12, 2006

Do Unto Others.....

Today, dear readers, is when this blog will become more interactive and instructive. I'm going to present a situation that happened to us and open it up for discourse amongst you. I desperately want to know what you would have done in similar circumstances. Your deeply pondered responses will undoubtedly be informative and could go on to help countless others in their time of need. Thank you.

A couple years ago my husband, Papi and I were faced with the dreaded task of purchasing a new vehicle to accommodate our ever increasing brood. While at the dealership and waiting for the unscrupulous salespeople and managers to stop haggling and slipping us pieces of papers with random numbers that they called their "best offer", Papi needed to use the restroom facilities.

Papi was in there quite awhile. When he returned to the office, he didn't say much. However, while walking out the door he told me an amusing but at the same time wretched tale of what transpired in the bathroom.

Papi said that when he opened the door, the putrid smell was so overpowering it almost knocked him backwards, but he had to urinate, so he bravely soldiered on. Whilst standing there, he noticed noises emanating from the handicapped stall and incessant flushing. Papi looked closer and saw articles of clothing strewn all over the floor, sopping wet. Even the man's socks were laying in little puddles. Then Papi realized the awful truth when he spied something unmentionable on the floor. The man had suffered a debilitating bout of explosive diarrhea and now was hand washing his clothes in the toilet by flushing it over and over. This included a tie and dress pants, so it's obvious this was likely a dealership employee. Papi stood there a minute not knowing what to do or if he should do anything so he turned and walked out.

After I got done laughing, I felt immediate sympathy for this poor man. I almost ordered Papi to go back and help him, but Papi mentioned that might make for an awkward introduction to a stranger. "Uh, pardon me, you don't know me, but I noticed you crapped yourself, can I be of some assistance?" I guess he had a point. Even after a few years, I still think of that guy and what an awful day that was for him. I wonder how he got out of the bathroom with his dripping wet clothes and I'm sure that he probably had to field a million embarrassing questions from his co-workers.

So, what would YOU have done, and what if YOU were the one in the same situation as this man? Here's a few things I suggested to Papi in case this ever happens again in the future.

a) You knock gently on the door and offer to call someone that could come and help with a fresh change of clothes.

b) You offer some of the spare clothes you tote around in your car, provided they fit. (yes, we do have extras in our car).

c) You ask if there's anything that you can do to help, like drying the clothes under the hand dryer.

d) You feel pity, but escape as fast as possible, and remembering Lot's wife and her mistake, you NEVER look back.

Papi is naughty. Sometimes when we pass by the dealership, he says, "I wonder if that guy is still in there". As though diarrhea is so shameful, the man just decided it would be easier to live out the rest of his days in the bathroom of Lone Star Ford.

6 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

miss biotech, Heaven forbid we are ever ourselves in that same situation.

Just in case, YOU are my explosive diarrhea lifeline. If at any time this happens to me, I'll call you. Are we agreed?

I wonder if they have a T-shirt for that? "I'm the designated poop emergency person".

White Man Retarded said...

Maybe he ate some bad 7-layer dip and dissed the Pumpkins! hahahahahhahhahha...

Anonymous said...

I would have to choose an option not listed in your suggestions.

I would have to crap myself just to get a lesson in toilet flushing laundry.

I think this is a craft that we should all know how to do.

Crapping myself would accomplish two things:

1) a once in a lifetime lesson in toilet laundry

2) make the original crapper feel better knowing that he had a crapping buddy to leave the bathroom with

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Okay, this is the height of problem solving skills people, I for one (and probably the ONLY one) am duly impressed.

MAJOR, I never saw you as being self-sacrificing. Nay, I've always thought you to be egotistical and a tad arrogant. For you to voluntarily crap yourself to draw attention away from the orignal poopee and form a kind of feces camraderie is indeed touching. There's a special place in Heaven reserved for you.

White Man Retarded said...

What are those deleted responses?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Apparently, this poor soul didn't have the option of walking discreetly outside as evidenced by the "remnants" left upon the floor.

Thanks for adding your analytical input! Problem Solvers Of America ain't got nothing on us.