Sunday, March 12, 2006

What Would Jiminy Cricket Do?

I am a very conflicted person at the moment. The thought of supporting leftist musicians and entertainers bothers me tremendously but yet as of late I can't get enough of what they're churning out.

Death Cab For Cutie is notorious for their irrational anti-war, anti-Bush diatribes and their support for the pro-choice agenda. However, I keep replaying, 'When Soul Meets Body', over and over. Ben Gibbard's voice is so amazing. He's also very nerdy looking which I find smoking hot.

Dave Matthews Band features a SOUTH AFRICAN who can't chastise America enough. Yet, he has chosen to live here and his bandmates are American citizens. Annoying? Yes, but still I just can't get enough of, 'American Baby'.

Morrissey has made his contempt for America glaringly clear but I continue playing his music ad nauseum.

Ditto for Grant Lee Phillips, Matt Nathanson, Pearl Jam, Shakira, Coldplay and Don Henley.

I feel guilty and hypocritical for my actions. Why can't stars keep their ideology to themselves? Why do they have to use their fame as entertainers to take on serious issues when the general public just wants them to shut up entertain us? Maybe it's their moral conscience nagging at them, I don't know. All I know is that they're ruining the experience for me because I don't relish the thought of my money funding their nutty causes. This goes both ways, I'm not partisan, but come on, how many conservative celebrities outside of country music are there? The World is full of enough turmoil and strife, I just want a little mindless escapism through music. Is that too much to ask for?

6 comments:

White Man Retarded said...

Zakk Wylde, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, John Lydon, Joey Ramone...But it doesn't matter. Bush doesn't matter. Jiminy Cricket has more credibility than he does...

Gia said...

When I buy art (pottery or silver jewelry for instance), I don't like to meet the artist because if I don't care for them, for some reason, it renders the art worthless to me, and I'll either not buy it, or if I bought it already, won't use it. So I know what you mean.

Maybe you could just think of them not being in line with the current government instead of being anti- America(n)?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

No, this isn't a pro-Bush rant, believe me. Lately, I have been opposed to almost every decision that he's made. No, this is more about not wanting to think about anything deeper than just the music. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW what their political affiliation is and that they are fighting for gay marriage, the NRA, or to boycott Kentucky Fried Chicken. I just want to be a mindless drone and enjoy the music.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Personal causes don't bug me as much as downright anti-Americanism. Coldplay, Morrissey, Dave Matthews, Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna, and countless others have done more than just disagree with our national government they have taken it a step further to actually slam Americans and our 'less progressive' ways. It just nauseates me to think about how they don't seem to mind our primitive mentality when they're here making money off us.

Oh, and I'm all for free speech. That's why I'm so conflicted that I actually enjoy the entertainment of these America bashers while being morally opposed to everything they stand for.

Mimo- JenK said...

Give a little whistle... give a little whistle... and always let your concience be your guide.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm trying mimo but while my conscience is telling me NO don't financially support people you find morally bereft, my head is bobbing to the rhythm of their music and my booty is betraying me by shaking around to the groove.

Help me Jiminy!!!!!