Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Who Put The B.O. in Bodacious?


Miss Tumbleweed's husband. I wonder what their kids will look like?
I see a theme emerging here, so I propose that we celebrate a week of nicknames! If you have a nickname that doesn't inspire trauma and weeping in you, please share with the eager masses.

Meanwhile, here's another wretched tale of cruelty reminiscent of the characters in the movie, 'Mean Girls'. Since intricate daily hair and makeup routines were de rigeur amongst my fellow high school girls and a few goth boys, that made me oddball out. To compensate for my lack of glamour I went overboard in the hygiene department. While other girls were hoarding around the bathroom mirror with their arsenal of makeup and hairspray, I was re-applying my deodorant. I popped so many breath mints during the day that I practically had to pawn my stereo to support my Tic Tac habit.

Some girls weren't as conscientious. A perfectly lovely student in my P.E. class named Stacy had it all. Good grades, nice family, tall and thin, sunshiney personality. Sadly she also had something else that was immediately noticeable to all those around her. My friend Melanie nicknamed her BO, and it caught on quickly with the whole P.E. class, then later the whole school. Stacy asked, "Why do you guys call me BO?" Melanie told her it was because she looked like
Bo Derek, but the truth is she earned the name BO because of her overwhelmingly powerful body stench. Luckily, only a few of us knew the real significance of the name, so at least her feelings weren't crushed. Makes me wonder about Bo Bice.

We didn't care about stomping on the feelings of another classmate, Amy, the surly drill team princess who fell from grace. Amy loved to ridicule us less coordinated, less sparkly girls. She refused to participate most of the time because she didn't want to crack her layers of makeup or break a nail. Amy took great pride in poofing and teasing her thin blonde hair with hair spray until it took on amazing heights surrounding her thin, pale face. Bon Jovi himself would have given her the big hair seal of approval. I adopted the name 'Miss Tumbleweed' just for her. Lacking any shame or manners though, we called her that right to her face.

Just never you mind what they called me.

8 comments:

Gia said...

My current nickname is Gia Pet, but the one I had in junior high was "Peawee" even though I was nearly 6 feet tall. The name was for my lack of any hint of, uh, "development".
;P

Mimo- JenK said...

Ummm... just mimo. It's short for Migraine Mommy, which I tried to shorten it to MM on a message board, but there were two other MM's there, so people started calling me Mimo. Mi-Mirgaine, mo- Mommy. Nothing too exciting.
Now I'm curious about your nick name. Is it something your husband gave you?

Sister Pottymouth said...

Please tell me it's not "butt dust." (hee hee)

Mine's Murray. Nothing secretive or sordid in origin: just a strange pronunciation of my middle name given me by one of my brothers.

Mimo- JenK said...

It's a tongue twister Carrot.

wendela said...

Mine is my online name, Wendela. As a child, my mom's Jewish friend called me that and it's been my nickname ever since. Let's hear yours, Infidel.

Anonymous said...

YOURS WAS "SPOTS" NOW I AM BEING CALLED EITHER "THE BEAR" OR "JIMMY" WHICH I DO NOT LIKE BECAUSE IT BRINGS UP A LITTLE BOY AND I AM NOT LITTLE OR A BOY ANYMORE.....WHAT DO YOU CALL ME?????

elasticwaistbandlady said...

You guys crack me up! I've had many different nicknames during my lifetime and not all were so flattering. I'm making this a blog nickname celebration week, more to come!

The name Gia Pet is funny. I'm called MM occasionally too but it stands for, "Mean Mommy". I'm guessing that Murray is for Marie. Carrot, either you have red hair or you're dorky like Carrot Top. (I choose to believe the first one)
Wendela, yours is more puzzling. I'm grateful that none of you were called BO, or that would have made things awkward!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Hey anonymous. I guess since you've signed in as such, I'll start to refer to you as anonymous. It has a nice, pleasant sound to it, don't you think?

Oh yeah, Gordo is an appropriate nickname that cracks up your grandkids. I suppose the ENglish translation to that is 'Big Jim'!