Monday, December 15, 2008

Oy There Matey....We Gonna Party Like It Was 1980

Know what I love and miss? The synthesizer-driven music of the 80's that always seemed so carefree and peppy.

Pop music and fashion are such cyclical affairs--usually averaging a recycled trend every 2 decades. Well, it's been over 20 years and the 80's sound is re-emerging in a big way.

Sadly, so are stirrup pants, leg warmers, checkered Vans, bubble skirts, and shirts with faux vests sewn onto the front. I witnessed all of those fashion atrocities at the mall last week along with Kangaroo shoes (Remember those? They have a useful zippered pocket on the sides.) and roving herds of wannabe punks wearing Sex Pistol T-shirts and fluorescent-tipped mohawks.

I have a love affair with all things Australian that I can barely comprehend let alone articulate. I love their culture, history, landscape, and most of all, their music. Not coincidentally, I've discovered two fantastic 80's-inspired groups via XM Satellite Radio, and both of whom hail from Australia.

Empire Of The Sun channels a distinct OMD/Psychedelic Furs vibe while Cut Copy could pass themselves off as New Order's kid brothers.

If you need me, I'll be here dutifully pegging my turquoise acid wash jeans and layering up multi-colored socks.

EMPIRE OF THE SUN- WALKING ON A DREAM (3:20)

CUT COPY- HEARTS ON FIRE (3:42)

HERE'S THE OFFICIAL VIDEO FOR THE CUT COPY SONG. YOUTUBE DISABLED THE EMBEDDING FEATURE.

17 comments:

Suzanne said...

FIRST!?! Wahoo! :D

Suzanne said...

Ooh, I love the synthesizer sound of the 80's so like you, I'm excited to see the sound getting popular again. But yeah, the fashions can be left back in the 80's! ;)

I'll definitely check out these bands. Having the XM definitely keeps you ahead of me in the music world. :)

Suzanne said...

Did your love affair with Australia start with Real Life? ;)

Suzanne said...

I'm going to stop commenting now.

Suzanne said...

I promise...

Suzanne said...

Cut Copy does sound like New Order! It also reminds me a little of Dead or Alive.

Mad Libs Millie said...

Geez, Suzanne. ;)

I'm sorry, but checkered Vans NEVER go out of style. Thus sayeth Weird Al. We have a pair or two kicking around our house.

Christy said...

Those are some pretty tunes.

Nancy Face said...

Hey! Those are sa-weet!

Rebecca Blevins said...

The only thing 80s I love are Erasure and Roxette. Yep, I think that's it.

That second song isn't half bad.

Worst thing about the 80s? I can't decide between the leggings or hair. Or shoulder pads.

Anonymous said...

So if I tie a big fabric bow around my neck and curl my bangs I'll be all the rage then? Oh wait, I don't have bangs. I guess I'm even less fashionable than I thought.

Yvonne said...

Oh, I LOVE 80's music. (I probably still have 80's clothes in my closet ; )

Heffalump said...

Now I want to get out our Thompson Twins CDs and wear some Jelly bracelets and a swatch watch.
Oooh...maybe I can go back to that great look I used to have that involved wearing suspenders clipped to my Levis, but never actually having the suspenders up. They had to hang around my rear ala Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future...

wynne said...

I would LOVE to sport a flourescent-tipped mohawk, but Jeff doesn't...er...appreciate spiky hair beauty.

Too bad for me.

wynne said...

And they picked the name "Empire of the Sun," huh? Well, it's an 80s movie. Maybe they're really big Christian Bale fans?

Jean Knee said...

dang, I missed the whole kangaroo shoe trend :(

Empire of the Sun was an awesome book

aubreyannie said...

mm, i love me some cut/copy. sweet.