Monday, December 29, 2008

When Cutting Edge Indie Rock Loses All Street Cred

I've been amused beyond all measure of reason by the recent playing of hipster alterna-rock at the most unexpected and definite non-hipster places.

We went shopping at HEB grocery store on Saturday night and started laughing when we heard the latest darlings of the college music scene getting blasted over the HEB Radio speakers.

Vampire Weekend- The Kids Don't Stand A Chance

While shopping for such novelties as Jeffy (Foxworthy) Jerky and Delta Burke lingerie at Big Lots off-price store (don't ever buy food there) we were treated to the strains of Guster's Satellite mixed into a Big Lots Broadcasting set list comprising of mostly super edgy hits from superstar acts like Bernie Higgins (Sailing Away To Key Largo) and Lou Rawls (You'll Never Find).

Guster- Satellite

Poor Peter, Bjorn, and John. One day you compose a song worthy of head-bobbing, shoulder-shaking from the hippest of the hip. The next day it starts to get played over the in-store radio at the most milquetoast of places. We've heard it at both Marshall's discount clothing chain and the 99 Cents Only store.


Peter, Bjorn, And John- Young Folks

I guess 20 years from now all these songs will end up as elevator Muzak.
I need to figure out who to ask and where to apply for the in-store radio DJ job......and then I'll just wait for the music label promotion money to start rolling into my greased-up little palms.

*This Just In! We heard The Kooks getting airplay on Ross in-store radio.*

7 comments:

Christy said...

I already embarrass my kids by singing and dancing at the store.

Rick Rockhill said...

The older I get the more I realize how out of touch I am with all the current stuff. yikes

Heffalump said...

I am so behind in current musak it's not funny.

Physcokity said...

That's too funny, but when some of them already sound kinda quiet, folky, or muzak-y on their own? They are headed for the top of the discount store charts.

aubreyannie said...

i TOTALLY heard young folks over the p.a. system at a grocery store once and was so depressed. i just lost so much respect for that song. and them. so sad. so very sad.

Rebecca Blevins said...

Too bad you don't live here...our Big Lots is a primo place for buying cheap, imported gourmet foods. Yummy!

We're not fortunate to have the lovely music choices that you do, though.

I hope everything went well on your surgery. I've been thinking about you...in a very, non-creepy way. I would have left a comment on that post but I see that *someone* didn't leave comments open.

Lisa said...

Sadly, I wouldn't know some of that music in a grocery store or anywhere. :( I'm so uncool!

Happy New Year!